Answers to Common Questions

You may have some questions about psychotherapy, our practice, and how to get started.

How do I start therapy?

Your first step is to consider whether or not you wish to use your insurance benefit. For further information on factors to consider in making that decision, click here. If you decide to use your benefit, contact your insurance company. They will let you know what you must do in order to obtain treatment. For example, you may need to contact your primary care physician to obtain a referral to a psychologist.

If you are not using insurance, or if you have obtained the information you need from your insurance provider, contact either Dr Roll or Dr Mills to determine if they are taking new patients and if they are a good fit for your situation.

What if I need help with my child or adolescent?

The procedure for seeking services is the same as for adults (see above): If you decide to use your insurance, contact your benefit company. Make it clear that you would like your child or adolescent to be seen by Dr Mills (Dr Roll does not see children). Follow their instructions. If you choose not to use insurance, or once you understand your benefits, contact Dr Mills.

What are the specialties of the clinicians at Seattle Psychologists?

Dr Roll provides psychotherapy for adults, and views psychotherapy as a route to personal growth and development by which people can learn to let go of reoccurring fears, pain, and suffering so that they can live their lives more fully in each present moment. Dr Roll treats a wide range of difficulties involving feelings of anxiety, depression, anger, and distress. Dr Roll’s area of expertise is with people who have histories of trauma and abuse.

Dr Mills works primarily with children, adolescents and their families, and also sees younger adults with anxiety and attention difficulties. He has wide experience in the assessment and treatment of childhood disorders, particularly those involving anxiety, attention, and problematic behaviors at home and in school. He has strong interests in the relationships between parents and their children/adolescents, and the role of positive discipline in guiding young people to healthy adulthood.

Where are the offices located?

Our offices are located in the Laurelhurst neighborhood of Seattle, close to Laurelhurst Park, the University Village, and Children’s Hospital. We are easily accessible from I-5 and SR-520. Address provided upon appointment.

What are your office hours?

Office Hours for Dr Mills:

Tues, Thur 2:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Fri 8:30 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Sat 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.


Office Hours for Dr Roll:

Mon 3:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Tues, Thur 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Wed 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.


Phone: 206-545-7500

Press “1” for Dr Mills
Press “2” for Dr Roll

How long does it take to get an appointment?

We schedule and see new clients as quickly as possible. Bear in mind that wait times can vary and that we are not always able to take new patients. The wait time for daytime appointments is generally shorter, because these times are in lower demand than after-school, evening, and Saturday appointments.

Are my visits to a psychologist confidential?

All contact with your psychologist is confidential. A psychologist may divulge information only with your written consent, or in cases of imminent danger to yourself or another person. Note that if you are using insurance to pay for therapy, your treatment file will also be available to your insurance company. You can read more about confidentiality here.

How long are sessions, how frequent are they, and how long will I be coming in?

At Seattle Psychologists, your initial intake session will generally last 60 minutes. Succeeding sessions are either 45 or 60 minutes in length.

Frequency of appointments and length of treatment are determined jointly by you and your psychologist.

What is the difference between a psychologist, a psychiatrist, a social worker, and a counselor?

People outside of the mental health field are often not familiar with the differences between psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, master’s level clinicians, and life coaches. The more generic terms counselor, therapist, and psychotherapist can add to the confusion. The differences are significant, so read this section if you’re not already familiar with the particular professions.

A psychologist has a doctoral degree in psychology (a PhD, EdD, or PsyD), requiring approximately six years of formal education and training beyond a four year college degree. Clinical and counseling psychologists have intensive instruction in the practice of psychotherapy and in the psychological underpinnings of human behavior. Psychologists are licensed by the State. They do not prescribe medications.

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor (MD) and has specialized training in the biological bases of behavior. Some psychiatrists do provide psychotherapy and all can prescribe medications. Psychiatrists are licensed by the State.

A social worker has a master’s degree in social work (MSW, or LICSW when licensed), requiring three years of formal education and training beyond a four year college degree.

A master’s level clinician has a two-year degree in psychology and is certified by the State.

No special education is required for someone to be a life coach. Life coaches work largely from their own experiences, though they can complete certification programs, generally in less than 100 hours. They are not regulated by the State.

How much are appointments? Are appointments covered by my insurance?

Initial assessment: $200.00
45 minute session: $140.00
60 minute session: $175.00

Payment, or insurance co-payment, is due at each appointment.

Both Dr Roll and Dr Mills believe that confidentiality is a critical part of psychotherapy. They also work to provide options for people who wish to use their insurance benefits. As a result, Dr Roll and Dr. Mills have made efforts to contract only with insurance companies that infringe least upon confidentiality. If you wish to use your mental health benefit, Dr Roll and Dr Mills may be in your provider network, but if not, you may have an out-of-network benefit option available to you.

To find out more about your insurance benefit, call the number on your insurance identification card. You should ask:

  1. Whether Dr Roll or Dr Mills is an in-network provider (if not, ask if you have an out-of-network benefit)
  2. If authorization is necessary
  3. The amount of your co-pay or co-insurance portion
  4. The number of sessions available
  5. Whether a Primary Care Physician referral is necessary

What do I do in the event of an emergency?

If an emergency involves imminent risk to yourself or to someone else, call 9-1-1 immediately.

If the situation is not life-threatening, contact the crisis line at (866) 427-4747.

If you are a current client, meaning you have had at least one intake session with Dr Roll or Dr Mills, you may leave a voice mail (206) 545-7500 for Dr Mills (press “1”) or Dr Roll (press “2”). State in your message that your call is urgent. Your psychologist will call you back as soon as possible, but if you need to speak with someone immediately, call the crisis line after leaving your psychologist a message.

When your psychologist is out of town, another therapist will be available in the event of an emergency, and Dr Mills or Dr Roll will discuss this with you ahead of time.